AMP Page Experience Guide
AMP Page Experience auditing tool by Google can be used for free in minutes at https://amp.dev/page-experience/.
Continual improvement of AMP web pages
Google’s expectations of any and all web pages is they continually improve.
Web page auditing tools are a necessity
When Google adds ‘new’ signals to their Search Results algorithm, they will then update auditing tools with those new ranking signals and a re-audit will reveal lower scores, obviously.
Visit the AMP Page Experience Guide, type in the website address you’d like to evaluate and click the “Analyze” button. The auditing tool will take a minute or two before presenting with a high level overview such as “Your web page needs improvement” or “While your web page is performing well, there are many things we found you can do to improve upon”.
If you get the message “your web page needs improvement”, simply execute the recommended optimizations and perform the audit again until you’ve satisfied them accordingly.
Best web page auditing practices
- Monthly use of free, fast and objective third party web page auditing tools (business owners)
- Audit every page of the website and optimize as recommended
- Setup automated web page auditing with each of your tools
- Setup automated daily/weekly or at least monthly web page testing (developers)
- Send automated web page audit data to your centralized reporting setup, such as Google’s Data or another reporting solution
- If you update the website, always make sure the page is valid AMP prior to pushing
- Add automatic AMP validation redundancy by using a tool like Travis CLI such if your local AMP validation process misses an invalid AMP page, the update will not be published live until the AMP validation errors for the page are fixed, added, committed and pushed again
- Use canonical AMP opposed to a desktop web page with a corresponding AMP web page
- Subscribe to the AMP Channel on YouTube if you’re a developer as well as the blog on blog.amp.dev
- Audit web page structured data and rich results using Rich Results
- Audit web page performance, accessibility, best practices, SEO and whether it meets Progressive Web App exemplary standards using Chrome Browser Lighthouse built in (use inspect) or install the Chrome Browser Extension Lighthouse.